Sunday, September 7, 2014

Who Will Win In the 17 Mile Run: My Heart Or My Head?



I look at my calendar, and almost want to cry.  Here it is again.  It’s that time of year, where I have the annual event that I dread most in my life.  No, it’s not back to school time (I mean, it is back to school time, but name one parent who is sad about that?).  It’s not my annual mammogram (all the women over 40 reading this just cringed at the thought of their next appointment.  Women under 40 pretended they didn’t read it, and the men don’t understand.  OK, guys, here’s what it’s like: have a complete stranger grab your breast, lay it on a table and try to flatten it with an encyclopedia, and have them hold it like that for a minute or so.  Oh, but first make sure they put the encyclopedia in the freezer for about an hour first so that it’s really cold.  Now repeat on the other side.  Yeah, now you’re cringing, too).  Nope, this is worse.  It’s time for my 17 mile training run.

I know; you’re confused.   This is my 5th marathon I’m training for.  Haven’t I run 17 miles before?  Yes, of course I have.  I’ve run 17, 18, 20, and 26.2 (for some reason, no training plan I’ve previously used had a 19 mile run, and almost all training plans stop at 20 miles, with the logic being that 20 miles is roughly when your body hits “the wall” and starts to rebel against you, so the training plans don’t want you to know how incredibly crappy you’re going to feel until you’re in the actual race and there’s no going back).  But for some reason, 17 miles is my Achilles Heel.  It’s always my hardest run and the moment in my training when I want to quit.  My 17 mile training runs are always the ones where my brain starts to beat up my heart and convince me that I can’t do this, and that it’s just too hard and too much work for something so insignificant.

Obviously, I don’t want to do this run, but I’ve been doing most of my long runs with a friend, Rita.  We’re using the same training plan so we have the same torturous long runs every week.  Running with Rita makes things MUCH better.  Rita works in roughly the same field I do, so she enjoys a good conversation about math as much as I do.  Last week we spent about ½ of our 13.1 mile long run calculating the effect of unit cost increase versus utilization increase in a large spike in trend she had found in a medical claims analysis she was working on for a client.  Mixing running with data analysis was my idea of utopia, and that run flew by in an instant (though we couldn’t get to the actual numerical answer since neither of us thought to run with a calculator).

I had warned Rita in advance that the 17 mile run was my arch nemesis, so that she’d be prepared for me to be grumpy and basically suck.  She drove to my house Saturday morning, and as I stepped outside, I knew this run was going to be even worse than I had expected.  We hadn’t even started yet, and it was already over 70 degrees and 90% humidity.  I don’t think she was looking forward to the torture either, but we knew we had to do it, so we might as well get going.

The first few miles weren’t so bad.  We had to add on to our usual route, so Rita had an idea that we actually run in the opposite direction from where we normally go, so by the time we looped around to what is usually right at the beginning, we had already completed over 4 miles.  The conversation was great as always, but I was already really sweaty and hot.  I had 4 bottles with 8 ounces of water attached to my fuel belt, and I was already wondering if it was enough.  It was REALLY hot.

At mile 5 we ate some gels and water, and I had to keep wiping my face off so that sweat wouldn’t drip into my eyes.  By mile 7 I had finished up 2 of my water bottles and was thinking I was in trouble.  Later in the run we were going to run around a park that has a water fountain, so Rita and I tried to figure out at what mile we’d hit the fountain and then divide that by the ounces of water that I had left.  Again with no calculator, the answer in my head came out to “I am not going to have enough water to get to that fountain and I think I’ll collapse and Rita is going to have to drag me home.”

Rita is a pretty positive person, and kept saying things like “the glass is half full, so we’ve already run a 10K!” or “the glass is half full, if we were running the marathon we’d be half way through Brooklyn!”, so I didn’t tell her that I was expecting to die and I’d do anything to drink that proverbial half full glass. 

My nickname is “Wrong Way Bob”, so Rita usually determines the course and I happily follow and am just thrilled that I don’t have to try to figure out where to go and how not to get lost.  At right about mile 9, we turned a corner and I realized were about 2 houses away from my sister-in-law’s house.  So, early on a Saturday morning, my poor sister Tracy had her day interrupted with two VERY sweaty people ringing her doorbell and begging for water.

Tracy filled up two of my bottles and one of Rita’s and told us whenever we run by we can fill up with her hose if we need it.  This prompted us to thank her, say goodbye, and immediately down one container of water each and walk around to her hose to refill them.

By mile 10 or 11 (I was too hot to remember), we decided to walk one minute every mile, mostly to make sure that we could finish the run without external forces, like an ambulance or at least a cab.  We ate our second course of gels , and I drank enough to pretend I was washing them down.  I only had about 1 and ½ bottles of water left, but was dreaming about the oasis of the water fountain in the park.  Or maybe I was just hallucinating at that point.  I’m not really sure.

Somewhere around mile 13 we entered the park and started the lap we take around its perimeter.  The park abuts the Long Island Sound, so some kids on a crew team were carrying their boats and paddles to the water’s edge.  One kid had a handful of oars over his shoulder and turned right when I passed him so that I almost introduced my face to 5 or 6 paddles.  I ducked just in time, but the semi squat I was in caused both quads to scream almost to the point that I think the kid heard them (or maybe that was me screaming; again, it was too hot to remember).

A mile or so later, we saw it: the water fountain!!!!  I think there was a small glow around it, like it was wearing a halo.  As we got near it, though, it looked dry and dirty, kind of like a water fountain that has gotten dusty from lack of use, like the way a water fountain looks in a park – after Labor Day when they’ve shut the water off.  So yesterday – 5 days after Labor Day – I pressed the button on the water fountain knowing before I even touched it that it wasn’t going to work.  And it didn’t.  And all I could think was, “I am totally screwed.”

And that’s the moment that my brain took the opportunity to beat up my heart.  It started saying things like “you can’t do this” and “just quit.  Tell Rita you’re done, and just stop.”  But, I didn’t.  Rita saw that the fountain was off and asked if I was OK.  My mouth opened to tell her I couldn’t run anymore and ask to borrow her phone to call my husband and ask for him to come pick me up.  But that didn’t happen.  Instead, I said something like, “Oh, I have one bottle left, I’ll be fine.”

In truth, though, I wasn’t fine.  I had 8 ounces of water left.  I had been sweating so much that I could literally wring out my shorts.  I was beginning to feel a little nauseous, and my legs felt like they were stapled to the ground.  But I couldn’t quit.  I wanted to, but I couldn’t.  If I quit that run, I was done with marathon training, and probably done with being healthy and fit.  Ending the run would have led to an all-out pity party where ice cream, pizza and Chips Ahoy cookies would be served in abundance, but being the only guest there, I'd eat it all myself.

Rita and I plugged along.  Our minute walks turned plural as we’d walk for over 2 minutes at a time.  We also took turns asking the other if we could stop running and walk for a bit.  It slowed us down to the point that we really couldn’t use the word “morning” to describe the time of day.  The sun was right above us and there was suddenly no shade.  During one walk break, I could literally feel heat coming off my head and neck.  At one point while running, we had to go single file and I was in front.  Rita started to laugh when she saw that my shorts were dripping and so the back of my legs were soaked.  I promised her that it was only just sweat and that I still had full bladder control, but at that point I’m not sure that it was any less gross that it was just sweat.

Run From A Hot Day
Finally we hit 16.5 miles, and I started counting down by every 10th of a mile.  After what seemed forever we heard our favorite sound of the day which was my watching beeping the end of the 17th mile.  We did it!  We finished our 17 mile run in what was now close to 80 degrees, still with 90% humidity.  Including the refills I got at my sister’s, I had drunk 56 ounces of water, most of which was now dripping off my shirt and shorts as I walked.  This 17 mile run was just as bad if not worse than all the other horrible 17 mile runs I’ve done.  But in a way, that makes it better.  They get more challenging, but I don’t back down, as much as I want to.  In the end, my heart and my legs conquered my brain.


Next week my long run is 18 miles, but that’s OK.  18 miles is one of my favorite distances.  Go figure.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment